5.05.2011

Knuckles and Nerdy Glasses...(Mother's Day Post #3)

There are lots of similarities on raising a girl and a boy...and lots of differences, too. Here are some of my own observations and thoughts...on raising and enjoying my little Nerd and my Papa Bear:)

fairy shoes

Niamh is a complete mix of Phil and I. She is talkative (Phil), a total jokester (Phil again:), a worrier, and a sweetheart (those last two are me:). She loves rollercoasters like her Dad. Wakes up grumpy like Mama. I'd say she has a lot of family influences as well...She is very honest (thank you, Mom), a wild party-girl (that's my sisters, for sure), and a Bible-loving, Reese-peanut butter-cup-eating girl (Mom-mom:). Before I had children, I never really thought they would be the people I would want to be like...but so many times, I look at Niamh and think, gosh...I wish I were more like you. She is a breath of fresh air...a sparkly princess...ready for anything.

fairy shoes

When she was born, her hair was dark with blonde tips...like an angel:) She was so tiny. So pretty; the prettiest little wafe I'd ever seen. Delicate and beautiful. She could sing her ABC's when she was 14 months. Talked my ear off since she was a year and a half old. Super picky eater. Loves sweets. *LOVES* them. I have a hard time leaving her home for the girl nights at my sister's. Kinda feel like, why would I leave my best friend home?...ya know:). I love her to pieces.

fairy shoes

We had Philly right after Niamh turned two. When they brought him to me, I instantly fell in love (I was put under for the birth). I remember his little pig nose. He didn't look anything like Niamh when he was born. But he was perfect. And my labor took a turn for the worst, so I was really so happy to hold him and know he was okay.

Philly is Phil's shadow, and he is very much like his dad. He's the most loving person in the world. And then there is this side of him striving to be a big boy. Trying to impress Dad...Wants to hang out with Pop. Wrestles with his uncles. He is all boy. And I am officially his girlfriend:). He thinks we are going to get married someday...I tell him when his foot is bigger than mine, he can propose to me:). He is very shy around girls...will talk to total strangers...and says the sweetest things.

Phil and I realized quick that boys and girls develop and hit milestones at different ages...or, at least ours do:). Philly didn't talk in sentences until after he was 2. He walked a little later than Niamh, too...He doesn't like to sit and color. Or do crafts. But the boy has a love for music. And it's not really kid music. Like, he knows good, classic songs by heart. From Johnny Cash to Queen to Credence Clearwater Revival...He just loves singing and remembers lyrics really well. He is super athletic, too. Our ticket to future box seats at the Yankee games:)...

fairy shoes

It's fun to see how your kids grow up the same in some ways, different in others. We love them both exactly the same amount, but in very different ways. Niamh pushes me to be better...to grow as a woman, so I can show her a good example. She keeps me on my toes. And she puts her dad in his place:)...She is the only one who can match him word for word in jokes and tricks. Philly, on the other hand brings out the softer side in his dad. Phil will spend hours playing with the child...and all it takes is some teary eyes to get him to play just five more minutes:). Philly makes us smile. A lot. He is my snuggler. And I must get 100 kisses a day from him. (Some girl is gonna love this boy someday.) Just the sweetest! He really completed our family.

Have you noticed differences in your own children...What are the special things about them that you cherish?...How do their personalities make you smile?...I'd love to hear!

Thanks for stopping by!...

12 comments:

  1. I was glued to every word of this. Very special indeed & thought provoking. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of what being a Mum means - I had no idea.
    With love
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just discovered your lovely blog... nice post and niiice nerd photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls share some many of both hubby and my qualities ... Beth has possibly too many of her Dad's for my liking!!!! I have no idea what it would be like having a little boy ... but it did make me smile that Philly tries hard to be the man, and Niamh has lots of her dad's traits, as well as yours. It was lovely reading about her milestones ... girls are bright cookies aren't they!!

    Hugs
    Cathy xx

    PS the shoes are too narrow for me :(((( Gutted :(((

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet post. Niamh and philly look like two happy kids. Good job mom! As for mine, two totally different kids. Gianna, well she is just sweet. Would do anything to make us proud. And Tristan, hes a rough tough boy but will notice everything like a new shirt i bought myself or a new decorative item in our home and he will say oh that looks nice mom. So yes two different kids love them both the same. Thanks for sharing.have a wonderful mothers day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw your kids are so gorgeous krista.
    i can`t compare as i only have 1 boy but he is so loving and caring but also very strong willed and opinionated.hes also a joker and an actor.loves to sing and dance and show us his latest moves and impersonations but only to mum and dad :D

    xx coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your artwork is amazing! And so is your family! Thank you for sharing. I want to be just like you when I am a mom :)

    <3 nearsightedowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never thought i'd want to be a mom, but this post may have changed my mind. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. will you be doing a dreadlock post anytime soon? yours are awesome and i'd love to read about them and stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, Thanks so much girls...You all are so sweet and I love to read your comments!

    Chloe, I am planning on doing a dread post this month. I am gonna change them up soon and figured I'd write on some of the things I've learned about wearing 100 dreadlocks up on my head;)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so fascinated by your dreads [thank you for posting about them, too]. I've thought about getting a FEW... You might be giving me the guts. This post was also so beautiful. The way you talk about your kids makes me excited to have my own.

    Any ways. I'm loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kinda miss the time when I used to play with my mom. Putting that aside, those dreads are really fascinating... and those glasses matches them well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happened upon this post tonight Krista. I so love the way you write, especially about your kids. I have a lil' pigeon pair too that I love more than life! Georgie and Zac are my lil' miracle babies. We never thought I'd be able to have any, so to have my wee princess and lil' man is beyond my best dreams. They were both a lotta years trying, so there's 5 years between them. But they adore each other and bring such joy to my life and to each others. My life has certainly had it's ups and downs, but my kiddies are responsible for the highest points in my life. Sweet, fragile, sassy and fabulous. I had no idea that 'they' were what made life worth living, until they came along. So reading your 'mama thoughts' resonates so loud for me! Bless you for sharing, Wends x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...