6.16.2011

Crabs, Ice Cream, and Lightning Bugs

One of the things Phil and I want to do throughout this summer is find new places to eat-- from little hole-in-the-wall joints to big, fancy restaurants-- we want to try new foods and new places. We love the whole dining out experience. We all love to eat:). And, seeing how Phil and I both are addicted to Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern (I luv that guy), we want to give new tastes and cultures a try.

Last night we went to Wilmington, Delaware and stayed pretty close to normal food-- although we all tried something new. We ate at Joe's Crab Shack. We want the kids to be open to trying new things-- especially a certain little girl who is the processed food queen. She ate fish-- be it fish fingers, but hey-- we'll take it:). The little guy had a pot full of crab legs and gave clams and mussels a try as well (they both came back out...couldn't get 'em down;). Anyways, it was fun! Phil tried a new type of crab, and I ordered mussels-- and liked them:)!

no fear
no fear
no fear
Philly always gets all the lemons at the table. I really think he enjoys everyone's reactions to his faces. Can't imagine why else the kid would chew on all those lemons:).
no fear
Blogger-in-the-making.:) She carries her camera everywhere this summer. And an extra baggie of batteries. She's more prepared than I am!
no fear
no fear
no fear
Yummy-- I see these seafood pots (seafood, red potatoes, and corn on the cob...with a little bit of sausage) in Coastal Living magazine all the time (yes, it's my favorite magazine...I feel like that makes me an old married woman, but that's okay:) Anyways, it was divine!:)
no fear
Stopped for ice cream on the way home. Why not?? We already ate our weight in melted butter for crab dippin'! My favorite flavor, since I was a little kid, is vanilla peanut butter:). I'm pretty sure it is the fattiest food you can consume in the entire world-- but it is soooooo good!...And then we chased lightning bugs:)
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
lightning bugs
I had my camera on the night setting, and the photos all had his funky echo-effect in them...but I kind of like it:). Looks like the kids are moving in the picture. And, if you couldn't tell by Niamh's face, she isn't exactly comfortable touching the bugs:). She really wanted to-- but that child is so girly!! Philly couldn't talk her into it. Maybe next time:).

7 comments:

  1. This post is so cute. It's always fun trying new foods! And Andrew Zimmern is DEFINITELY inspiring. I mean, if he can eat cow innards, we can at least try mussels, right? Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @AJD...agreed!! i thought about asking the meat guy if our grocery store had cow tongue this week-- but i was too embarrassed:). it's suppose to taste like pot roast:) someday i'll try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh seafood ... I love seafood ... or is it see food I love!!!! Can understand Philly's reaction to mussels and clams (yuck!!), but crab and fish fingers, yum. And fab pics of the kids with the bugs , I can relate to Niamh totally there!!
    Hugs
    Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. catching lightning bugs=MAGIC ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi krista thanks for sharing this its so cute. We have joes here in texas and its pretty popular. Everyone walks around with joes t shirts that say "bite me " with a picture of a crab. Lol. Niamh is just like me when it comes to bugs. I dont like them and they dont like me. Lol. Me and mt daughter gianna usually run away screaming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to chuckle - my husband is the one (all 6ft 4ins) who can't handle bugs & I'm the one who rescues the woodlice & puts them outside the back door - we're both fine with spiders. Intriguing flavour of ice cream that & I love the way you are teaching the children to try things.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's SO darn cute that your little girl is a budding photographer! That's wonderful. Our 2-year-old is obsessed with sucking on lemons at the table too, crazy kids!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...