6.08.2011

We Believe in Fairy Tales...

The other day Niamhy asked me if I had a favorite book when I was a kid. Immediately, I thought of my Princess Diana storybook. I thought that maybe I had grabbed it from my mom's house...and cleaning up her room last night, I found it! Isn't it funny how finding something from your childhood instantly makes you feel just as you did all those years ago? Suddenly thrown back all those years. Cigar smoke still makes me instantly think of my Great Grand-pop. Spotting a field full of deer at dusk makes me think of the "deer spotting" trips my family would take in the evenings (yes...we would all pile in the van and literally go drive by field after field, looking for deer...this is why my neck has a tinge of red.;) And Curve cologne throws me back to being a 20 year old girl, having just met a super cute marine...falling head over heels in love. Memories are fantastic things-- especially when you get that glimpse of a certain feeling all over again! Looking through the book last night made me smile. I can remember exactly what I liked about every single page.
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
modcloth shoes
Do you notice all the little fairies around Diana in the illustrations...I loved those little fairies. Loved the idea of being a princess. Of wearing a beautiful wedding dress. Loved the magic of it all. Still do. It's why I always tell Niamh when she asks about fairies and Santa and elves and princesses being real...that yes, absolutely...magical things are made real in your heart. It's how you feel about something that can bring it to life. So, I encourage the kids to believe in fairy tales and make believe...in all the wonderful things within this old, tattered book...because it makes our lives a little more fun. And child-like. And really rather magical.

10 comments:

  1. Aw this is so gorgeous. I loved reading this post. Not to long ago I found a book that reminded me of m childhood. So I understand that feeling you got when you found your book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is the coolest story book ever! Ive never seen it before! its funny how different things reminds us of different times... I found you from much love illy's blog@ youre adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this!!!!! i'm the same way it comes to old books. i might need to find some of mine now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol! i try to avoid fields of deer at all costs while driving ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, what a cute book! And I totally agree with you about keeping the magic alive! We have our whole lives to be adults, it nice to be able to keep children child-like for as long as possible and believing it all those things that make the world seem like a better more magical place!! And I love rediscovering things that shoot you back to a past time - a smell, a song, a glimpse of someone or something......Hugs, Marie xxx
    P.S. I've sent you an email....can bearly contain my excitement and I didn't hear anymore from you yesterday :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! Just started reading your blog {which is fab BTW}. I haven't been able to read too far back yet but even just by reading this post...I think I'm somewhat safe in assuming you're into fairies...There's an amazing author named Charles DeLint who spins some truly awesome tales...I thought I'd pass his name along in case you've never heard of him...I think you might like it.
    Glad I stumbled upon your blog...looking forward to reading more entries. Kirsten =)
    http://walk-in-our-shoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kirsten!! I have not heard of that author before-- am gonna go check him out now:)...

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know about this book. I too remember my childhood books & how vital they were in that they allowed me to live in another world - plus I learnt to read & write, also learnt English reading Enid Blyton. It's so vital to allow our children to be children - time enough to be an aduit later.
    I love the wisdom I find here.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...