10.21.2011

Track #4.

halloween craft

Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow.
You are just a vapor that appears for a little while
and then vanishes away.
James 4:14

In high school, I had a teacher that would give extra credit if we observed certain stars/planets in the night sky. It isn’t too hard to walk outside at 8:30 at night-- so why extra credit you wonder? Well, most of the star clusters or planets we had to find seemed to make their way into my night sky in the wee morning hours. I woke up that year so many times between the hours of 2 and 4am to get extra credit. Although, the extra credit wasn’t the whole reason. Probably not even the biggest reason. (I didn’t need extra credit in science. It was kinda my thing)…

The mornings were cold. I’d roll out of my cozy bed and pull on my sneaks. And with my eyes half open, head outside. To stand in my nightgown. Freezing. And looking very chic. (sneakers and nightgowns are so lovely together, you know). I’d find my star or planet. I got good at it. My mom and dad even bought me a star gazing book for Christmas. (said book is in my living room now. i’m a little attached to it). But, after I’d done the homework part, I’d just stand. Under the night sky. Silence. And I’d think how small I must be.

You know, light travels fast. I mean, that is pretty much general knowledge. This speed is approximately 186,282 miles per second. And despite that speed, I’d stand in my yard and wonder what time I was viewing a star’s light from. The universe is so huge, I could be seeing the light emitted by a star years ago. Like thousands and thousands of years ago. It made the night sky seem so far beyond what my brain could handle. And it made God feel even bigger than that. And to a girl in a tiny town, shivering in her pajamas, and not really seeing any further than science class that afternoon…well, that was a feeling that scared me. It terrified me. It thrilled me. And I loved it.

Fast forward a bunch of years (okay. not a bunch. i’d prefer 'handful'), and the kids and I sing this song most mornings on the way to school…Take a listen. Because it is really beautiful.


The Bright and Morning Star. It makes my eyes burn a little with tears each morning we listen to it. Venus is called the Morning Star (also, the Evening Star), because you can view it low in the sky right before the sun comes up (or goes down). I think it is the third brightest light in our sky, after the sun and moon. And it was my favorite ‘extra credit’ assignment. It is so beautiful and bright. And the song brings back that feeling of being in complete amazement of my Creator. The same thing I felt standing in my yard.

You know, I never really liked the Bible verse that likened my life to a vapor. It kinda bummed me out actually. I mean, I want to be important. Remembered. I want to be big. Leave an impact. And a vapor. Seriously, Lord?? It didn’t leave me with a happy feeling. But, I think I was missing the point.

When you spread out everything before you. Your family history. The history you learned in school. The pages of all the science books you’ve had to study. The world that went before you. The world that will go on without you someday. The night sky. And a verse that tells you your life is like a vapor….you probably will feel pretty tiny. A lot like a vapor. A fading flower. A moment.

The point is not to take the wind out of our sails. It isn’t to pop our dream bubbles. It isn’t really to make us feel insignificant. Or just to prove how tiny we are.

The verse is revealing how big God’s love is for us.

That He even listens to my prayers baffles me. That He holds this chick in the same hands that created the stars…that is kind of…well, BIG. I am important to Him. My struggles and triumphs, they matter. It’s this feeling that still terrifies, scares, thrills me.

The things we did as kids…sometimes we just gotta go back for a second. Be simple and open and ready, like little kids are. Trust like a child. Believe in possibilities. Feel small-- but important. Feel treasured.

halloween craft

Even stand under a night sky.

15 comments:

  1. thanks, chica, now I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out!!! Hmm, must be a message I needed to hear right now, at THIS moment. Yes, I'm going to be thinking and praying on this for a bit. Thank You! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful insight Krista, thanks so much for sharing this!!
    xxAutumn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista, Thanks so much for sharing this song, and all of your sweet thoughts and words! I needed this also! Hugs! Leah Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh krista, this song is beautiful and your post is so wonderful.
    Thank you so much for this one because i woke up in a bit of a down mood today and now i feel snuggly warm from reading your post.
    Huge ugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a great way of putting things. I love those moments when a verse that sits a little uncomfortably suddenly clicks. "Feel small - but important" - I like that =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a pretty powerful post "Little Britches"! To bad we didn't live closer we could star watch together. You are a pretty amazing little mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speechless in wonder - He IS very mindful of us isn't HE? Thank you for reminding me of just how mindful He is.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post as always Krista....thanks so much for being such an inspiration....
    Big hugs
    Emma
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. that verse in James 4 always brings to remembrance the importance of each moment. Because CHRIST is the one who is with me each moment. ANd I don't always acknowledge Him in my lifestyle or how I act and what I do. And then I remember the fragile state He created us in. Yet, he gives us so much power over the rest of creation. He lets us have power over the lions, over every single thing on this earth.

    EXCEPT HIM.

    We are a vapor.
    We gotta be eternally focused.
    Christ is focused on us for
    eternity.
    How much more should we be?

    ♥CheChe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! So pumped that I found this little blog from Casey's. Your family, style, and self are just so refreshing and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This almost made me want to go outside with my mom's laptop to work under the stars...

    ...until I figured how cold it was outside. :]

    Brilliant post in a sense that you almost convinced me to go outside in the freezing cold. ;] ;]

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful post, thank you for sharing! He is soo much bigger than us, and I'm so thankful for this!!

    http://theleaflets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is written so lovely and deep. it is ageless...I do love it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Krista, this is beautiful and makes a lot of sense

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your posts are always of interest so brilliantly presented xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...