3.06.2012

Penpals.

Niamh and Philly participated in the card swap over at the Saturated Canary Challenge blog this past month. It was super fun for them, as they've never done a penpal thing before. Just knowing they had something in the mail drove them crazy:). And knowing both cards were traveling all the way over the Atlantic Ocean- well, that was just the cherry on top. They both have gained a long distance friend, who they definitely cherish.

krista smith art
krista smith art
krista smith art

Philly was paired with Mr. Mo. He was so excited to find two army guys and a special green marble in the envelope as well. We've decided these aren't for playing, because they are too special:). He will keep them up on his dresser...to remind him of his new buddy, Mo. He can't wait to play together someday...

So, Lou, one of us are gonna have to hop a jet plane with our boy. And I'm not really the flying type:). 

Thank you, Mo, from Philly.

krista smith art
krista smith art
krista smith art

Niamh was paired with a little girl named Rebecca...also from across the pond. She received just the prettiest card, a handful of fairies, a bookmark, and a headband. She calls Rebecca her "long lost sister" because they like the same things:).

 So, Miss Rebecca. Thank you from the bottom of Niamh's heart. 

 She is already looking forward to sending you a birthday surprise this spring:).

krista smith art
krista smith art

Having a penpal is such a fun experience for a child! It is so easy to get swept up in this world of instant messaging and emails and Facebooking and skyping...But what about a good old fashioned letter? It's so much more heartfelt and sweet; a little treasure to tuck away for years later...

...to someday be reminded about a lovely childhood memory.

13 comments:

  1. awwww I love them both in this post hun, they are just so sweet and totally excited! it was such great fun!! mo keeps seeing things now and saying " and that needs to go in the envelope for philly..." so far I need a storage container for the next letter!!! romfl!!!!
    huge hugs and thank you's from Mo and some from me too :)
    Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness i love love this!! I remember my pen pal.. I got her from church.. she was moving here from somewhere and her grandparents wanted her to know at least one person.. We started writing and I even visited her... I can't for the life of me remember her name though..i think its great they did this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to have a penpal when I was younger. I LOVED writing letters and receiving them. I art of letter writing is disappearing...it's so sad. I would have a pen pal now if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww how sweet. I bet they were both so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am so with you about pen pals!!!
    I used to love pen pals when I was a little girl. Coming home from school getting that letter in the mail was the best feeling!!! I actually have a dear friend who I became pen pals with when I was like 11 (we use to send each other packages, like all decorated with pictures from magazines on the envelope, so they were super exciting to see in the mail) and I visited her in Wisconsin when I was 16, took a plane there all by myself ( I still can't even believe I did that, since I am terrified to fly and haven't flown since the year of 1994) but we still keep in touch on Facebook and I love her! So I think it is awesome that your kids have friends across the sea!!
    Pen Pals Rock(:

    ReplyDelete
  6. how special to have you to guide them and show them those things that truly matter. All your gifts and talents show through them. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great experience for them. I remember having a few penpals growing up. It was so fun and I still have some of the treasures they sent me. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Through Clubhouse Magazine, I met my penpal Candy when I was 11. She has the same birthday as me and lives across the country. We still talk every day.
    How awesome! I am so pumped that Niamh and Philly have penpals too!

    - s

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely delightful seeing them have such fun & learning too.
    Terrific idea doing this.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww this is so cute they look so excited, well done to all the pen pals! hugs R xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the sweetest - I think a penpal would be a great experience for ANYONE, especially kids! Love love love it!

    xo
    http://kittysnooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. when i read this i thought this is just to cute, warmed my heart as when i was younger i loved having a pen pal and think its a great experience for kids, heres hoping to many years of excited squeals when that post comes xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. wauw that is so cool for your kids! how did you find a penpal for them? I remember having some penpal friends, kids I would meet on holiday and never meet them again, but we always kept on writing each other, untill one day we got older, write less and lost contact. But it was always a lot of fun :) and I always was looking forward to the coming post! Now a days I still write letters to my granny´s and try to keep up with friends there birthdays, because it is a lot of fun to receive somethingin the post and YES I still look every day in the mail box cheking if I have got some post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...