4.19.2012

Awkward and Awesome. Thursday.

Awkward... 

I fell out of a moving golf cart this week.

It was in front of three groups of waiting (on us), serious, manly golfers.

Because we try and make our golf trips family outings. And you can't really fit 4 people across a bench seat in a golf cart. So, when mama hops in, she squats on the floor and holds on. Apparently, not tight enough. Because speedy husband likes to do 80 mile-an-hour U-ies on the fairway in the process of locating his ball. And centripetal force pulled this chick out.

Sent me rolling across the grass.

The worst part about it-- one of the kids had to tell Phil I was gone.
He never even noticed.

And when I asked Niamh if she saw me fall out. She said, "Yes."
Me: "Did you start freaking out when I fell off?"
Niamh: "No. I thought, 'I can't wait to tell my kids about this someday'."

and there's still more...

On the way home from our lovely golf trip, Philly turned the inside of his lip and half his face purple by rubbing it with a glossy coloring book cover.  (No one was aware of this. And yes, it is possible.)  Not five minutes into our drive home, Niamh screams, "Philly is bleeding!!"  So. Phil and I turn around and see Purple Face.  With what looks like a two inch bloody cut in his mouth.

We kept our cool and asked how this had happened.  I started yelling in my hysterical shrieking voice (the one that sounds angry and scared at the same time), "What's wrong with you????"

Phil, in the meantime, was yelling, too.  Yelling about the reaction Philly was having.  Something maybe bit this kid.  Or maybe he swallowed a random nut on the golf course.  And we needed some sort of Epi Pen.

I began to feel his face, now swelling because Phil and I had scared the poor kid into tears.  And his face gets puffy when he cries.  Which confirmed Phil's suspicion of a terrible allergic reaction.  I, however, in my professional medical opinion, believed he had suffered some sort of head trauma from Phil's fantastic golf cart driving.  He was internally bleeding in his face.

And after about a minute of yelling and Phil driving down the road while turned looking into the backseat,  I realized the bloody spot in his mouth could be wiped away.  Right onto my own finger.

There was really nothing to do but all laugh.

Philly laughing with tears in his eyes.  Because we had actually convinced him he was dying.  And now he had a new lease on life.

Phil and I laughing that relieved laugh that only a parent knows about...like someday-- waaaaaaaaayyyyy down the road-- this will be a very funny memory.  It was a preemptive laugh, I guess.

And Niamh.  She was just laughing.  Because this day had been pretty awesome.  She now had two stories to tell her future children.

Awesome...

Besties.  In a grocery cart.  Whispers and giggles underneath a furry coat.  I want to keep them this age forever.

krista smith

The Titanic Anniversary gift Aunt Bec left Niamh on our doorstep this week.  Because Niamh is a Titanic-obsessed third grader.  And her Aunt Bec is just awesome.  

In every way.

krista smith

The pictures where Niamh still looks the exact same as she did when she was a baby.  

krista smith

The fact that, despite the worst golf trip ever, this guy still wants to go with us again.  
He just likes hanging out with us goofballs...

even if I have grass stains on my butt 
and Philly has a half purple face 
and Niamh is laughing in the middle of his shot.

krista smith

Golf hats. 
It is the only part of golfing I do well.  
I love me a newsboy hat.

krista smith

Lashes and stuffed animals and sleepy angels.

krista smith
krista smith

Oh.  And our house guest this week...We got a Flat Stanley in the mail today!!  He is gonna stay for a week.We are going to take him to see Philadelphia this weekend.  And maybe the beach...as long as he doesn't put his paper feet in the water;).

And I especially love this guest.
He doesn't even care that my house is a bit messy.

Welcome, Stanley!

krista smith

45 comments:

  1. What can I say Krista!
    Not a boring moment in this family! LOL
    Loved it :)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh! Great post; thanks for sharing with us:0)

    Hugs;
    Janette

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story was hilarious!! I read it out loud to my mom and she was dying! Awesome moments and memories with the family! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW what a week, husbands and kids sure do keep us on our toes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do I know how to comment on this post?!? I wanna laugh...and say "Awwww" and "I'm so happy you survived!" all at the same time! Thanks for the *giggle*

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Saying hi from Casey's giveaway!!

    peacelovedecor.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe what a funny post, I would have freaked out too....but then again you are making beautiful memories with your family, nothing better than that! =0)....Fabi


    wwww.thescrappingfactory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL that has got to be the most hilarious thing I have read today. thank you for making me laugh. Sounds like something out of a movie, LOL. Never boring day with a family so true.

    Hugs,
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to know I'm not the only one who hysterically scared mad yell screams at my "hurt" kid. I did that today and felt awful afterward. Thanks for sharing & making me feel like a normal mama.

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you know I actually laughed til I cried about your golf trip/buggy accident/Philly's near death experience - the reason being, I can actually picture it happening. And I'm so glad these things happen to you too ;)
    Scott (now 12, but he was about 18 months old at the time)had me phoning the 24 hour emergency doctor because this rash appeared on his face that wouldn't disappear when I did the meningitis test of rolling a glass on the rash. Near hysterical, we went through a list of symptoms on the phone - but instead of being limp and floppy, Scott was actually quite bright and happy. Well it turned out that he had been snuggling up with his dad who hadn't shaved in a couple days!!
    Mortified just doesn't cover it :S
    Debz
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to know I'm not the only one who hysterically scared mad yell screams at my "hurt" kid. I did that today and felt awful afterward. Thanks for sharing & making me feel like a normal mama.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ur story cracks me up sorry chicken u just make it sound hilarious u have a beautiful family chicken xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha.... I love reading your blog posts! Times like that would be the reason the only golfing I do is of the miniature variety! lol You do rock that newsboy hat, though! Hope all is well with you and that gorgeous family of yours! :)
    {hugs}
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahahaha I actually sat here laughing out loud! I loved this post, I love the bit where you said that he could breath easy as you had convinced him he was dying lol, seriously tears in my eyes, thank you for making my morning read a fabulous one! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, you made me laugh right out loud. Thanks for sharing your life with us. :) You and your family are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your little family :) and your artwork! Thanks for the laugh this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a fabulous family day full of fun memories. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my Krista - that's one of the funniest posts I've read here!! You guys are too hilarious - and I can picture every zany moment like I was there... love it!
    Maybe you should trade in your 'sexy hat' for a 'safety helmet' with Phil's driving... or add a side-cart. ;o)

    Have a safe & fun-filled weekend my dear!
    xo
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  19. 'I can't wait to tell my kids about this someday' This literally had me laughing out loud to the point where my husband had to ask "what is wrong with you?". Sorry you had a momma scare =/ but thank you for the laughs and hopefully future laughs for you too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hahahahahahaha!!! Oh my gosh, I was laughing so hard!!! You really know how to end my day!! LOL!! Oh, Niamh, waiting to tell her future children the story of the day Mama fell out of the golf cart!! You KNOW it will have gotten a hundred times worse by the time it is finally retold!!! Hahahahahha!!! Love your stories!!!!
    Hugs,
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  21. This made my night! So hilarious...yet so lovely. Thanks for sharing:) P.S. totally love your name

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, what a day!!! If I were you, I'd beat Niamh to the story when your grandbabies come. You need to put your own spin on it, because that was hysterical. Sorry, but I was laughing so hard at pretty much every bit of it. Well, except those precious kiddo pictures, where they are zonked out. I just got a flat Stanley, too. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. YAY!!! SO HAPPY FLAT STANLEY MAN ARRIVED AKA FLAT BOSTON...lmao!!!
    LOVED YOUR POST AND THE FALLING OUT OF THE GOLF CART STORY, THAT WOULD SO BE ME TO FALL OUT OF A CART AND I WOULD TOTALLY BE PEEING MY PANTS LAUGHING!!!!! SOME AWESOME MEMORIES WERE JUST CREATED FOR YOU BABIES AND THAT'S WHAT ITS REALLY ALL ABOUT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Haha this post was greatness. Thank you for the laugh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. P.S. FLAT STAN/BOSTON will totally feel at home cause he just left a pretty crazy messy house, so he will love your house(: The messier the better for Mr. Flat(:

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok this post made me laugh hysterically while reading it and my husband is just looking at me wondering what is so funny. I wish i was there so i could laugh with niamh. Kind of reminds me of a time i fell out of my truck and broke both my ankles at the same time and a few weeks after when i could actually walk with crutches, we took the kids to lunch and i slipped (yes slipped) on something wet in the restaurant and fell and the manager had tp help me up and walk me back to my table and i looked at my kids and said didnt u see mom fall???? And they both said yes!! And i said why didnt you come help me and they both said" we thought you had it" lol. I felt so stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  27. you are hilarious! Your posts make my day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. romfl krista!! oh hun you made my breakfast bloggy reading sooo much fun this morning......even if I did drench my pooter with my cup of tea as I spat it out giggling away at your post!!! I love reading what ya'll get up to!! and I am sooo pleased I am not the only parent who worries when their little peep has an injury!!!!!!! :)
    huge hugs Lou xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fun post to read, thanks for sharing! Ruby x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Krista, you've just had me crying (with laughter) into my breakfast cereal! Great way to start the day....you tell fab stories! Such precious memories. You sure got gorgeous children, too!And what's flat Stanley all about???
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Krista that really made me laugh, sounds like you guys have the best fun together! Your children are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh My!! What a tale..one day in the life of a Mum and Dad..with lots of special memories..I loved it:)
    Hugs,
    Marjorie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm thrilled you're all OK - especially with Phil driving whilst panicking over Philly. My husband has such a long body & arms etc..... that he tends to knock into things. When we stayed with my Mum before moving into our new house she had an accidental damage insurance policy 'just in case' - I still don't know if it was for the house or for my husband. Mind you he had recently fallen down several flights of stairs with a vacuum cleaner - he was fine just freaking out over the vacuum cleaner being in bits & prospective house buyers coming to view the house in the next half hour. Having checked he was OK, I could only calm him down by reassembling the vacuum cleaner so he could get on with the vacuuming. (That Miele vacuum cleaner lasted years & was an incredible investment!).
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Krista, this made me smile, as a mum, I recognise those moments when you're frantically trying to work out what's wrong, when there isn't anything wrong at all! My boy is still always covered in scrapes, ink... grass stains whatever and he's nearly 14. But over the years, I've learned to try & wash it off first before panicking! Lol Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. hee hee what a funny tale you tell :0)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hahaha! What a great story!
    Really laughed tears in my eyes...
    :-D
    Graet day you had, but I can imagine that you couldn't laugh when it all happened to you.

    But thanks for sharing this with us and for makin' my day the best this week.

    Have a great weekend!

    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great stories to remember when you get old...Once hubby and I were on our waverunner in the Gulf and I was driving. He has showing off on the back and I punched it. I knew he flew off but pretended not to notice. At first he thought it was funny, but half a mile later and me still driving, he started to rethink the funniness of it all... great stories Krista. Enjoy your babies every moment of every day, no matter how tired you are... they grow up way too quickly... hugs, Debra

    ReplyDelete
  38. OMG! I was literally busting up at work! Your story telling was great - I could actually picture you flying out of that golf cart! LOL

    AND the part about your son - and your medical evaluation- hilarious!

    TFS!

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh Krista this is so funny, I am sorry to be laughing at your accident and terrifying moments in the car, but I can't help it. Oh how hilarious it must have looked to the 'fly on the wall' and I wish it had been me. You really do know how to make me smile girl.
    Your babes are beautiful and I can understand you not wanting them to grow up, treasured times are these.
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog, it meant the world to me.
    Best wishes Linda

    ReplyDelete
  40. HI,I am new to your site and found it while searching for digi stamps. The shop was closed but your post had me laughing so loud. So sorry but I could see you in my mind rolling around over and over while your hubby sped off. I'm glad you are okay but if the fast trip out of the golf car didn't kill me then to see my little guy with a purple face and cut up lip would have for sure sent me into cardiac arrest.LOL, Glad we can all laugh about it. I am now your newest follower. Hugs and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just happened to come across your blog and read your story. It had me cracking up! It is the type of thing that will have you laughing to tears at a later date... but at the time it's really nerve racking... I know I have 4 lovely kids lol You now have another follower. Looking forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. LOVE IT! You are way too funny! And yes we parents know that laugh, feeling, and hysterics. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  43. I found your blog via Ali Edwards and seriously almost spit out my coffee reading this. I can so relate it is scary! Thanks for the laugh. So glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my gosh - I'm laughing out loud here in my living room, all by myself! LOL!! This is awesome! What a post - great pics, Thanks for sharing! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...