6.15.2012

Summer Nights.

saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis
saturated canary digis

When I was younger, my sisters, brother, and I would sleep on a bunch of blankets on the living room floor each night during the summer.  Upstairs was way too hot.  Our bedrooms became saunas during the really hot months, so we would line up in a row in the living room.  And watch Nick at Night.  And it was totally awesome:).  

I would always get voted to the end of the line of kids.  Because I was the biggest.  And during the summer, our house would get the occasional cricket, jumping around at night.  I think my siblings figured I was the biggest roadblock to keep the bugs away from them:).  

They also sometimes fought over who would sleep next to me.  I kinda liked that part:).  Even if it, again, had to do with the cricket thing.  I'll take it:).

And now, summers just feel right when my own two kiddos are watching a movie late into the night, hanging out on an air bed in the middle of the living room (we have upgraded from blankets to an air mattress... fancy in this house-- it's how we roll;)... 

It is one of my favorite memories of being a kid...and I know Philly and Niamh will grow up remembering hot nights in the living room, fans blowing their hair, watching the Disney Channel, covered in nothing but a feeling of home.  And family.  And summer

xx

17 comments:

  1. Such great memories and your kids are gorgeous. Memories are the best. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely family photos. I especially love the one of the children sleeping. Treasure thes moments 'cause they grow up much too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures, I wish we had it that hot to have the excuse to do that! But you're so right, I love it when my boy comes and snuggles in to watch TV. I'll always remember those moments. Thanks for sharing. Take care, Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super pic with Philly & the butterfly!
    Thought of you when posting my latest tag.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My childhood was very similar! Summer nights in Australia can still be in the high 30's (Celsius) so we used to drag out of old futon mattresses and camp out in the hallway, taking in the cooler breeze from the front door. One night we even camped outside on banana (or beach style pull-out) chairs. We ended up going inside after a little while though because the bugs were pretty nasty! Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome.
    your posts always make me smile.
    making memories, that's what it is all about(:

    ReplyDelete
  7. awwww, super sweet sticky summer memories! Remind me not to meet Phil in a dark alley! ;o) Love you guys!
    (P.S.. pop on over for a jewellery GIVEAWAY of my handmade creations if you'd like!).
    xo
    Mel ;o)
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  8. Childhood memories like that are the best! Thanks for sharing them with us! I adore your writing style, Krista! Sentimental with a pinch of humor and a dash of sarcasm! The perfect recipe for a fun, fabulous read! Your kids are too cute & you're an amazing mom to help them build what will be awesome memories of their own! Have a fantastic weekend! :)
    {hugs}
    Regan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictues and beautiful post! I love remembering childhood days! Nick at Night = the bomb.

    xoxo, Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh hun this is an awesome post, I love seeing all your piccies, you are such a beautiful family, all yummy!!! have a super saturday hun
    huge hugs Lou xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so nice reminiscing. Sadly, I live in drizzly old England so I can't say I ever had the problem of our bedrooms being too warm haha It does remind me of the times where my sister and I would make a huge den with loads of blankets hanging over us in her bedroom. :- )
    Lovely pictures!

    Xx. Emma (Hell&Milk)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely memories to pass on.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  13. making me cry. you are a beautiful mother. it's perfectly clear to me how much you love them and the fun things you do together as a family to create those lasting memories. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds so much like summer nights in Australia... used to be! (before air conditioning gave us comfort and took away something nameless but special) I came to Aus from England when I was 12 and remember thinking how "exotic" it was to do this sort of stuff, and of course when my own kids came along "family room camping" was a MUST! It's so cool that these are the memories you're building with your kids :-) Thanks for nudging these long-ago memories back into my consciousness Donna ☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous summer memories. And for making new ones with your own kids. TFS

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...