7.16.2012

Millions of Peaches from Yin Mom-Yang Mom!

I invited Allie and Mere over for a guest post today.  Something I don't do on here at all-- a recipe!:)  I'm not very...shall I say--apt-- in the kitchen, so these two lovely blogger sisters are gonna take over for me:).  Be sure to stop by their delicious blog for more great recipes and mommy stuff's! 

First of all, I just want to say that my sister and I are beyond excited to be guest posting for Saturated Canary! Thank you, Krista, for inviting us to be a part of your circle of friends! Mere and I just love Saturated Canary and everything it stands for: beauty, creativity, family, and simple pleasures. Today we are bringing you a scrumptious mini-menu for a lazy backyard evening...



Start with Mere's Summer Stone Fruit & Sparkling Amaretto Sangria, so that you can enjoy sipping that sweet, summery flave while grilling up Allie's deliciously simple Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone and Crushed Biscoff.


I love sangria. It might just be my favorite thing to drink. The problem is that I can't drink it all day long 7 days a week! So, one thing that I love to do is make virgin sangria and just keep it in the fridge all summer long. You can use all of the ingredients listed below, add more water (sparkling or still) and eliminate the wine and amaretto, to make a delicious summer cooler to sip on anytime. It may seem a little odd to add mint with all of these flavors, but I promise you, it is such a lovely, refreshing compliment, and brings this drink to the next level of awesomeness! But of course, it is a lot of fun to add some spirits and soak up the sun with your feet in the kiddie pool on a Sunday. Here's the recipe I use to do just that! This is what you'll need:


1 Bottle Chilled Sparkling Wine (You can also use regular white wine if you'd prefer)
100 ml Amaretto
2 Cups Sparkling Water (Still water is yummy too)
2 Peaches, diced
2 Handfuls of cherries cut in half, pitted
3-4 Sprigs Fresh Mint


Combine your fruit and mint in a pretty glass jar or pitcher. Then, add the amaretto, 1/2 of the bottle of wine, and 1 cup of the water. Mix it up, put it in the fridge for at least an hour so that all of the flavors can mingle. When you're ready to serve it, add the remaining sparkling wine and sparkling water. Give it a taste, and add some agave nectar (if needed) to taste. You want it to be mildly sweet, not syrupy. Then, serve in pretty glasses with big scoops of the fruit, and a few mint leaves. This is so easy and delicious! (The reason you only put half of the wine/water in with the fruits is because your bubbles will go a little flat while the flavors are mingling. A nice side affect of this is that your fruit ends up getting a little fizzy! Of course, if you opt to use regular wine and still water, you can add it all together at once.)

And now for some dessert!!  Allie's Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone and Crushed Biscoff....


So, I know that I sometimes get carried away with my desserts, and they can be a little involved.  This, friends, is not one of those times. You. Can. Totally. Do. This. It's so easy, I promise, especially if you are already grilling up some burgers and dogs or whatever. And, there's tons of room for creativity. Don't feel limited to peaches, mascarpone, and biscoff. This yummy dessert is basically just a riff on a can't-miss formula: something fruity + something creamy + something crunchy = something delicious.


 For this version, I chose peaches because a) they are at the peak of their season, and b) they were on sale at my supermarket. But it would be equally yummy with plums, nectarines, apricots, pineapple...


 While the barbecue is heating up, just halve some juicy peaches and toss them with melted butter and a dash of cinnamon. Lay them on the grill, cut side down, and don't mess around with them for like, 5 minutes. Seriously. Fight the urge to shuffle them all around and peek at how they're doing. If you do they will stick and never get marks and it will just turn into a big ol' mess. So just pull down the lid, and walk away. While those are going, stir a little honey into your mascarpone, to sweeten it up a bit. If you like, you can add a little vanilla too. And/or almond extract. (For 8 oz. of mascarpone, I'd do 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and just a drop of almond extract.) If you aren't familiar with mascarpone, it's just a fancy-shmancy Italian cream cheese.


My market has a nice gourmet cheese section, and I can find it there. But if you can't, or maybe you're just not feeling fancy-shmancy, you could totally substitute regular cream cheese. Maybe the honey nut flavor. Or maybe some of this stuff: Philadelphia Ready-to-Eat Cheesecake Filling

Yum.

Now for the something crunchy part. Usually, I use a little Italian cookie called "Amaretti" in this recipe. It looks like a little round brown ball and it tastes like, duh, amaretto. Nutty, sweet, almondy. But I wasn't able to find them at my market today. So I decided to go with Biscoff, another kind of European cookie, which is quickly becoming the next big thing in dessert trends.


It has a warm but gentle spice and a really crisp texture. I see it a lot in butter form, aka, speculoos, which is a lot like peanut butter only if instead of grinding up peanuts they ground up cookies. Umm, yeah. You heard me right.


It's kinda to die for. But I digress. Crumble up your cookies a bit. Oh, and if you can't find Amaretti or Biscoff, maybe think about Ginger Snaps.

Ok so by now your peaches are probably getting some nice grill marks on them. Take them off the grill, fill the little divots with a dollop of creamy goodness, and top with cookie crumbles.


The sweet-creamy mascarpone melts and slides over the soft, juicy grilled fruit... and each warm mouthful slips and blends buttery soft and summery sunshine, with the earthy crunch of warm spice...

Oh! Hi! ...right... Thanks for indulging me my little moment there, and thanks again to Krista for this exciting opportunity! I really hope all the Saturated Canary readers enjoyed our post, and if so, be sure to check out many more like it at www.yinmomyangmom.com!

*Comments turned off so you can go say hi to these two lovely ladies!  

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...