8.17.2013

Coffee and Winners.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Since I'm having an iced coffee right now...I'd love if you sort of blogger-coffee-joined me.  We can pretend it is face to face.  A sweet, friendly chat...Just to catch up.

I'd tell you that Phil is in Colorado here.  He's been gone since early Thursday morning.  He is not allowed to call home in order to minimize the distractions.  I am so proud of him.  SO SO SO out of his comfort zone...to leave for four days by himself, not knowing a single soul at this men's retreat.  He is so changed.  It just moves my heart~~I want what he has with Jesus.  That is a good man.

Left to ourselves, the kids and I seem to have abandoned all responsible things and any sort of schedule. They have slept in the living room on an air mattress.  With our dog Blue snuggled between them (a no-no).  We all stopped for lattes yesterday as a 'grown up' treat.  We have eaten ice cream 53 times exactly. We started on this project.  Painted chairs.  Re-arranged the kitchen.  Swim lessons. A movie.  Dinner out.  Played games.  Sang.  Danced.  Laughed.  And by 2am, we all look at each other cross-eyed and say good night.  

I would tell you that treating your 7 and 10 year old to lattes could backfire on you.  When they walk through Target and ask in front of strangers if we can please stop for another coffee.  They need to stay awake tonight.  

I would ask you about your summer...Has it been everything you hoped it would be?  Ours has been this sweet and beautiful and difficult mix of wonderful moments~ the kind that feel like a movie in slow motion~ and hard, stressful, hurting moments.  That mingled together, all these things have been moving our family in a direction of trusting deeply in Jesus.  Trusting Him to love us.  Rescue us.  Come for us.  Talk to us.  Meet us.  Forgive us.  And free our hearts to live recklessly/ radically/ completely for His Kingdom. 

I'd tell you that the end of summer doesn't bother me nearly as much this year.  I am excited to have the kids home this fall and totally dive into this homeschool thing.  All materials are ordered.  Their work area is ready.  And I am thrilled to give this a go!

I'd tell you that I love new friends.  That I specifically asked Jesus for friends like 6 months ago.  That probably looks so silly to read, like I'm in sixth grade or something.  But for years~ really forever~ I have hid behind the 'I'm shy' or 'I'm quiet' or 'I don't need friends' type statements.  Just totally closed my heart off to getting to know people.  I know it came from a place of fear~ rejection, failure, what if they really get to know me~ eek. But I asked Jesus in a quiet moment to just bless me this way.  Take that wall down and allow me to accept the friendship of others.  And holy cow.  He is doing it.  And my heart is just bursting with joy!

I would ask you if you have a green thumb. Because I do not and I am sick of buying new orchids.  Those suckers are expensive and I can't keep them blooming for more than a month.  Any tips?

I'd tell you that Philly hardly ever has a shirt on and when he does, it is usually inside-out.  That Niamh has become organic-obsessed.  That our pit bull is the sweetest dog ever and likes to smoooooosh all up on you.  That Joe's Tea rocks.  That Niamh and Philly can literally re-inact the entire Teen Beach Movie word for word and song for song.  That I have a secret obsession with Plants vs. Zombies.  And that I wore Phil's white undershirt to bed every night since he's been gone.  In fact, we all have worn one...and we even re-apply the cologne.  So the shirts smell just like him.  Niamh calls her cologne smell "dressy dad." (You can call us weird. It is okay with us:)

And I'd ask what is going on with you...What are you excited for?  Worried about?  Longing for?  What little moments in your life make you smile right now?  What made you laugh hysterically this week?  Or cry quietly?  What would you share over a cup of Joe?

Follow along on Instagram @kristacanary.
Thanks for the coffee, friend!
xx

PS...Winners of Jen Hatmaker's 7 book are listed below.  If your name is on the list, you have until Wednesday to email me your address (krista7smith@yahoo.com).  Please use the email subject "7".  Congrats to the winners~ I hope it messes you up as much as it did to me~ it's a good thing:).

Lisa Howell
Linda Carson
Dorinda Kaduchak
Maxine D
Amy O

(I added links if I thought there might be confusion due to blogger profile names:)...
Looking forward to sharing this book with you girls!!

34 comments:

  1. The pictures are all so much fun. And my summer has certainly had weird moments.

    Heidi’s Wanderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you sound like you have really filled your days while Phil is away will he recognise your home when he gets back lol. I think you sound like a perfectly normal family to me and some of what you have been up to brings back memories of when my son was little and the things we got up to, your children saying awkward and embarrassing things is a must for any good parent I think its how you get out of it that counts and can cause later laughter too.

    I'm hoping summer is still with us as I'm not a dark mornings and evenings kinda lady and as its my big 50 birthday in a couple of days and then on the 28th my 20th wedding anniversary I have plenty to celebrate and plan to do both by spending special time with both close and extended family and friends. You could all come but I think the journey may be a bit far for a few hours but that's fine I understand.

    Well I guess I best make a move and get back to chores but thanks for the chat and my latte the clouds outside are disappearing so I might even get in the garden later and enjoy the rest of the summer. See you later say hi to Phil when he gets back and you Niamh and Phily not get up to too much mischief but enjoy the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! So excited for you~ the end of August sounds pretty fun for you and your family:)!
      Enjoy your special days...God bless, friend<3<3<3

      And thank you for the comment~ such a sweet one to read!
      xx

      Delete
  3. All good with us Krista...fave summer moment so far...getting stuck up a tree. As for orchids; I seem to be able to nurse them. I buy the "zombie" ones; half dead and therefore cheap, pop them on the windowsill that gets the sun in the afternoon, and water when I think about it. My Mum says it should be a cup of water once a week in the summer, mine get it about once a fortnight, and they seem happy. What made me laugh the most this week...watching the kids do stupid things with cardboard "Smurf" hair...it was a beard, it was ears....it was hilarious! Big hugs to you all.
    Fiona xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the info, Fiona!! I am just a mess with houseplants!
      hoping the summer ends with just as much fun as you describe here!!!

      hugs!
      xx

      Delete
  4. Hi Krista,

    Your pictures are magical!
    Calm and colourful scenes. Funny scenes.
    Family times. I so enjoyed looking at your summer.
    Your children are so innocent looking and so
    beautiful to look at......
    Thank you for sharing with us.
    Big Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet, uplifting words, Candy!!!
      xx

      Delete
  5. Hey Krista! In my experience orchids don't like a lot of fuss or attention. They're meant to have rest periods and may look like they have died - but they probably haven't. A wee drop of water now and again, a light spot, but not direct sunlight and a constant not-too-warm-not-too-cold temperature and they will do their thing when they feel like it! Hugs, Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! useful info...bc I have no idea what i am doing wrong:)...
      i think i may have overwatered them??...or maybe they heard me singing:):):)...

      anyways, thank you<3
      xx

      Delete
  6. Well since I am enjoying my first and only coffee of the day I thought I'd say hi.I love your post, I enjoy reading about your time and day and it helps me to realise that I am perfectly normal and that we all do similar things. It's summer hols here and me and my boy are just chilling. For 6 weeks. So everything is messy. Our dog Baxter is leaving a trail of bits of thread that he has pulled out of his rope toy. Keagan leaves piles of discarded biscuit wrappers and mugs lying about. But it's ok. We'll tidy at some point. He is off to play cricket for the men's team today. I'm going to chill in my craft room and attempt to make some projects, or I may just colour. The radio is on so I can listen to footy (soccer) commentary. I do know that I will take some time just to think, pray even, but with no pressure. I like that. Finding my own way. It's something I need to do but not always sure how. Okay I'll stop now, but I do feel after reading your post that we could talk all day! Take care lovely. Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful wonderful heartfelt post! Thanks for sharing a bit of your life. Hugs.
    My husband works away, so we (the girls and I) only get to see him once a month for a weekend. We are looking forward to him being home for 10 days at Christmas. Friends - hmmm! I wish I had friends that lived locally that were into crafting. I too am quite quiet and I would say introvert, afraid to show my true self to people or to let go. One for my own company - most of the time. I love my girls (14 and 12) they are going through a rough patch at the moment. They have always played well together, however they have started going they separate ways when it comes to things to do. Tried to sit with them and say that they have done really well, but we knew that at this age they would want to do different things, but to take the time to at least do some things together, we are working on this :-) What made me cry this week, my cousin is visiting where my Mum's ashes have been placed, along with her Dad's and our grandparents. I wish I could go along with her and place a flower for my Mum - she is going to place one for me. I live in Canada and my family is UK. I miss my Mum so much it will be 10 years this October since she has passed. I hope you haven't minded me sharing this with you - its always good :-) Thanks for the wonderful post. And please delete this post if you need to :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your heart!
      Thinking about your mom must be hard~ hoping you feel comfort in all the memories of her~ and the things still a part of you that are from her!

      Just sending you a warm hug, friend<3<3<3
      xx

      Delete
  8. You have to let orchids sit around for awhile, they like to rest. Water them every other week ish . Keep them even after you think they are dead, as long as you have two healthy leaves, you are fine. Then months later boom, it will grow some sprouts. And then forever after that you will have flowers. Also they need indirect sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah!!!! did not realize this. all my blooms fell off, so i thought they were gone. thanks for the helpful info!!!! xx

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your generous gift! I'm so excited to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for your awesome posts. I am enjoying a cup of Java now, up north in Minnesota off a lake for vacation feeling very blesses. I started reading Seven on Friday and am 100 pages in. She is funny, but has really got me thinking. My husband doesn't understand it, but I am probably not explaining as we'll. I also started reading All his Grace by Brennan Manning. He has an amazing, but sad testimony on his journey with Christ.

    I am truly wanting to reprioritize my life to put God first every time. Simple things like finding your blog, reading Seven, making time for getting into his word is a good start:-)

    I wanted to let you know how inspiring you are. I first found your blog mainly because of your digis and fell in love, but was really drawn in by your transparent and bold love for God in a social forum like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the sweet, encouraging words, Wendy!
      that means so much!!

      i tried to explain 7 to my hubs too... It is hard to put into words sometimes~ "hey, can we ditch all the stuff that is excess...you know, the stuff that is fun/distracting/FUN??..." I think he looked at me cross-eyed at first, but a week later we had cancelled our cable~ his idea:)!! It is just such an awesome book~ a life changer really.

      Enjoy it to the fullest!
      xx

      Delete
  11. Bless you dear friend, that's all I have to share at the moment, you are blessed and I am for having known you xxx hugs always, Vick <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Krista it's been a while since I dropped by, loved your post, enjoyed my latte and yes my summer has been the bet ever' take care x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am joining you with some iced tea....our summer has flown by, filled with day trips and fun things to do. I have no worries and it feels nice, for once. I am not sad to see summer end because I think I like the structure of school days for my daughter, though, when she graduates from high school (in 6 years) I am wondering how I will mentally divide up the year.

    I am excited to have a fun hobby of coloring images, most often your lovely girlies. They intrigue me more than the rest of my images, partly because of the pretty hair, often because of the fun outfits they are wearing. It is kind of like playing dress-up with my dolls. Thank you for sharing your creativity with us all.

    Enjoy whatever you chose to do and I hope your worries are few.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so happy to hear you love SC images:)...I think the best part of drawing a character is the outfit:):). Have fun coloring and enjoying the last few days of summer!!! xx

      Delete
  14. I am beyond thrilled. So excited to read this book.
    Thank you Krista

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoy your blog and had not thought to ask God for a friend...I need one so badly. I had the best friend ever, but somehow there was a mis-communication on FB and whoosh....30+ years of friendship disappears. So hurting as I am dealing with the loss of my Daddy and best dog ever and family "ick" without a single force of unconditional love we all need. So, now, I take your advice and will pray for a friend. I am going to be open to new faces...new experiences...new something to help get me out of the blues I am in. May God Bless....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for you Lisa! God is so good and wants our hearts to be filled with friendship and love and beauty!! He is for you and will bless you, friend<3

      Delete
  16. I don't often get time to post a comment but I always enjoy reading about what you and your family have been up to. So, as I am sat here on my lunch break with a cappuccino I thought I would say hello :-)
    My OH and I have no kids so our summer has been pretty chilled out, spending time in the garden, catching up with friends and family and losing myself when I can in my little crafty world with a stamped image and my Copics - bliss!
    Hugs, Kat x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that kind of summer sounds pretty magical, Kat! <3

      Delete
  17. I always love reading your blog posts! My kids loved structure, and I am so NOT structured. I would let them stay up late, build forts and have a good time! (My eldest daughter was always really crabby when she was tired though- so did pay for it....., but the memories was my goal, not making it through the next day..... Love the fun stuff you are getting done!
    We are installing wood floors upstairs (allergies) and WOW_ we have kept so much stuff! It is so hard to just throw stuff out- but....we seriously have puzzles from when the kids were 4-5 and they are now 24, 24 and 20!!!
    I hope home schooling goes well- I could never do that- my sister did it until she could do it no more.......
    Blessings to you!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Krista, bit late in replying but hey better late then never, is what I always say. I'm on my summer break at the moment unfortunately I've been a poorly girl and had pneumonia! Don't ask me how I managed to get it but the good thing is I'm on the mend now!
    What has been good is that its given me a chance to catch up on DVD box sets (re-watching Fringe, forgotten how good it is) and read a couple of books (Can highly recommend The Kingmakers Daughter and The White Princess by Philippa Gregory)
    Now I'm feeling a bit better I haven't been able to resist doing a wee bit of crafting, just wish inspiration didn't strike me at 11pm at night!
    You sound like you're having a wonderful summer, hope the wonderfulness carries on into the Autumn for you xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...