6.10.2014

Summer Goals.

 
 

Summer is almost officially here. But, in my mind, it always starts June 1st.  If you've followed me for a while, you may have already read that it is my favorite time of year.  If I could spend 11 months out of the year in full-on-summer-95-degree-heat-beachbound mode, I would.  (I'd save the twelfth month for fall, because I do like a few days of sweater wearing.)  Because I want to make the most of my favorite season, I usually plan out some ways to spend it well.  Nothing too concrete; just 'this is what I'm aiming for' sort of ideas.

Here are my top five for the family.

1.  Continue learning.  Summer is perfect for exploring, discovering, and playing.  I am going to embrace the dirty feet and hands, sweaty foreheads, and rugrat appearances and focus on spending a lot of time outside, in nature, at the beach, and in the midst of God's created beauty.  It is the perfect backdrop to continue our education well into the summer months.

2.  Live slowly.  Philly loves sloths.  We talked about their living habits the other day... that they aren't really lazy, but just like the slow life.  Hello, sloths... you are totally onto something.  Here is to slowing down and enjoying the small pieces of summer that make it so, so good (i.e. buttery corn-on-the-cob; coconut-smelling lotion; and iced afternoon coffee, just to name a few).

3.  Day trips.  We have a tiny, three-day vacation planned (hopping over to NYC for Yankees, a Broadway musical, and a visit to a museum), but I want to be sure we spend at least one day a week (or so) trying something new, visiting a place we love, or trying something local we have not done before.  

4.  Outside living.  All we need is a sheet, a tent, and a few good books...and we are set for the day.  Light up the tiki torches, the barbecue, and the fire pit.  Break out the bug spray.  Spend some nights sitting under the stars, talking/dreaming/laughing.  This is what I hope the kids grow up and remember about summer.  

5.  Be creative.  Encourage it in the kids.  Encourage it in each-other.  Write the book.  Try a new art medium.  Give the kids brushes and paper and paints.  Find ways to cultivate it in Phil (he is a huge reader, total music geek, and even writes occasionally, too).  Take the opportunities daily to push ourselves in new ways of creating; no limits, boundaries, expectations.  We are made to be creators, so I think it is a good way of worshiping our God and especially want the kids to know this while they are young.   

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Oh, and one more!
The occasional afternoon nap. 
Niamh is already taking me up on that one:).

What is on your summer goal list?
Or winter list...for you guys across the globe:)...

17 comments:

  1. For me winter is a case of lying low so DH doesn't contract any more (chest) infections than possible, as he is not a well man, so I get to do lots more crafts, as there is no yard work and the like to be done.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your quiet winter months are good and your DH is able to stay well... Much love, friend!!

      Delete
  2. Whish you a lovely summer.

    Marie-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just like you! I love summers.....endless summers. Everything you speak of to do this summer brings back memories of my childhood. We were never indoors. Always exploring and spending time with nature. Hope you all enjoy the journey in reaching your goals this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could spend every minute outside!! Summer is definitely for enjoying nature~ totally agree with you <3

      Delete
  4. Summer for me is spending as much time as possible with the grand children don't get a lot of sun but hopefully this year there will be plenty ...............just love your post its so interesting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Sounds like a lovely summer to me!! <3

      Delete
  5. Summer Goals - love yours and they got me thinking. To be honest I've not been well, so I've stepped back from some of my DT commitments so I can enjoy crafting at my own pace. To just enjoy doing whatever I choose. I want to sit outside and read more. To just sit & listen. But also I want to learn, to develop what I do enjoy doing (colouring) learning to use different mediums. To just take time. Take care Zo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds so awesome, Zoe!!! Hope you are feeling better quick, friend <3
      xxhugsxx

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love the summer weather and sweater weather too! Love my sweaters (my closet gives that away lol) If I could just keep my family home for the summer months, I would!! I love your goals and they have me thinking too .. we do need to slow down. My son just accepted an offer to University, so he starts in the fall and daughter is off to high school. I NEED time to slow down and I am on a mission to be sure we enjoy every moment we can this summer as a family as big changes are coming in the fall that I'm really not ready for. After being home with my kid's for 17 yrs, having one leave the nest is leaving me crying myself to sleep almost every night (that's normal right?? LOL) Andrew's gf text me this morning to help her make a scrapbook of the 2 of them for him to take with him. So sweet - especially when she says she couldn't handle sitting and making a book of memories for that long - I bet she'll love it.

    Beautiful photos, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure that is the hardest, Karen!! Will be thinking of you~ I hope the summer goes by so slowly for you and your family <3 :)

      xx

      Delete
  7. Were some of your photos taken at Longwood Gardens? I go there very frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Tara:), we live a little over an hour from it-- so worth the drive!!!!! Love that place!!

      Delete
  8. Love the pics! The palm house is amazing and so is the list of Summer fun you're gonna be getting up to. It's Winter here in New Zealand. We're in the heart of it and although we do have some rain and wind and some cold nights, it's really pretty mild compared to our experiences the past 13 years in the UK. The kiddos are missing the snow. Doesn't quite feel like Winter to them without it. But, we do get to have 'Winter breaks' at our family beach. A bit of a trek up North, but oh so worth the journey! Even in the heart of Winter, the beach is bliss. So we went beach combing last weekend, and I collected some treasures for the kiddos at Playcentre to do some heuristic play. Awesome! Loving hanging out with my lil' dude. He just turned four, so next year he'll be at school. But this year, he's all mine and I'm loving every minute of watching him grow and getting involved in 'parents as first teachers' through our local Playcentre. Kinda makes me really consider home schooling! Glad it's going so well for you guys. Hope you're enjoying the Atlas my kiddos sent yours and have found where the sloths are from. Loads of hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the beach in winter as much as I do during the summer, actually! I like when it is deserted and quiet and just us;) ... My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE the Atlas!!!!! The illustrations are too beautiful and fun to discover~ there are so many!

      Much love to you friend!! <3

      Delete
  9. LOVE those dreads... Kids are just so darn cute with them.
    My girl had it when she was about 4 I think, and I had dreads as well...
    Really miss them, and will probably get some again soon ;)

    Oh, and that tree, with the pink flowers - what is that?
    Simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know~ it is some type of bonsai ... I just thought it was too pretty not to photograph. I love those little trees!!! <3 :)

      Delete

LinkWithin2

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...